Saturday, February 4, 2012

How to Start a Mini Nubian Hobbyfarm

If you are thinking about starting a hobbyfarm, breeding and raising Mini Nubians just might what you are looking for. The Mini Nubian goat is a fairly new breed. It is a smaller version of the Nubian dairy goat. How to produce a Mini Nubian, you breed a standard size Nubian to a Nigerian. They are not as small as the Nigerian, but are smaller than the standard Nubian, The standard Nubian doe is about 30 inches high and the bucks about 35 and can weigh around 200lbs. The Mini Nubian size is much smaller, they range about 23 to 26 inches high and weigh around 100lbs. They have the same characteristics as the full size, the long ears, roman nose and a friendly disposition. They also produce alot of milk and are easy keepers and since they are smaller, they are easier to handle, plus they don't require as much food.
You can either start a herd with breeding a Nubian doe to a Nigerian or purchase a your Mini Nubians from an already established breeder.
I am sure you will enjoy these little guys. They are so cute and enjoyable to watch as they romp and play, plus they will give you plenty of milk. You can make your own soap, cheese and cook with it too.
I am a beginner myself when it comes to goats, especially the Mini Nubians. I am looking forward to this fall when my little Cinnamon Buns can be bred. I am going to have to purchase a Mini buck or find someone to breed her to. My 1st goat I purchased is a standard Nubian doe. Cappy already had a baby before I bought her and I was able to milk her for some time. I made soap and cheese. That was alot of fun. I am not sure if I want to breed her again. I am more interested in the Mini Nubians. I also have a standard Nubian wether named Pepee.In case you don't know(I didn't) a wether is a male goat that has been band, so he can't produce. Of course, I don't think he knows it. He gets alittle frisky with the girls!
All kidding aside, if you don't have very much acreage, but want to start a hobbyfarm, I think you will enjoy raising the Mini Nubians.
I belong to a couple of groups on yahoo that have helped me alot. There are alot of nice people in these groups that are more than happy to help with anything you need to know. If you decide that this sounds like something you would like to do, contact me and I would be happy to give you the information.
I have pictures of my goats on an older post if you would like to see them. Thanks for visiting Serenity Acres!

No comments:

Post a Comment